The money was deposited with some bankers of repute at Amritsar from whom Bhai Des Raj was authorized to withdraw amounts as and when needed. He was also given a seal, Guru ki mohar or the Guru`s seal by the Khalsa to raise more funds. The foundation of the holy sanctum was laid on 19 April 1764 byJassa Singh Ahluvalia, supreme commander of the Dal Khalsa. According to Giani Gian Singh, Twarikh Sn Amritsar, the construction of the Harimandar, the approach bridge, the Darshani Deorhi or gateway, and the clearance of the sacred tank filled by the debris in 1762 were completed by 1776.
After the sack ofKhurja, a rich markettown in the present Bulandshahar district of Uttar Pradesh, by the Dal Khalsa in February 1783, one tenth of the plunder, amounting to 1,00,000 rupees, was also placed at the disposal of Bhai Des Raj, who now started having the parikrama or the circumambulatory terrace paved. This work. including the platform around the Dukhbhanjani Beri and two large masonry screens for ladies` baths, was completed by 1784.
References :
1. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Sri Amritsar [Reprint]. Amritsar, 1977
2. Fauja Singh, ed.. The City of Amritsar – An Introduction. Patiala, 1977
3. Madanjit Kaur, The Golden Temple : Past and Present. Amritsar, 1983
4. Arshi, P.S., Sikh Architecture in Punjab. Delhi, 1986 S.S. Am.