KHAIHRA, village 6 km southwest of Gurusar Satlani railway station in Amritsar district of the Punjab, has a historical shrine sacred to Guru Hargobind, who once passed through here on his way from Lahore to Amritsar. Gurdwara Baoli Sahib Patshahi Chheviri, named after the bdoli, a well with steps going down to water level, is outside the village to the north of it. The present building, a hall with the sanctum in the middle, was constructed in 1920. The Gurdwara is affiliated to the Shiromam Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee but is managed by an old devotee, BabaJogindar Singh, who has been serving it since 1925. A major religious event is the annual fair held on 8 Savan, usually corresponding to 23 July. Gn.S.
KHALRA, village 27 km northwest of the tahsil township of Patti (31017`N. 74°52`E) in Amritsar district of the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Nanak (14691539), who passed through here during his travels in these parts. The old shrine commemorating the visit was destroyed during the IndoPakisian war of 1965. A new building comprising an assembly hall, with the sanctum at its far end and a bricklined terrace in the front, was raised by the local sangat in 1980. The Gurdwara is managed by a local committee under the auspices of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee.
KATTU, village 12 km southeast of Barnala (30°22`N, 75°32`E), in Sarigrur district of the Punjab, claims a historical shrine, Gurdwara Sahib Guru Sar Patshahi IX, commemorating the visit of Guru Tcgh Bahadur. The Gurdwara, marking the site of the Guru`s camp in what used to be a thicket by the side of a pool of water, is about 1 km northeast of the village. Hence the name Guru Sar, or the Guru`s Pool, although what is left of it now is but a slight depression in the adjoining fields. According to local tradition, Guru Tegh Bahadur came here in 1665. He held a discourse with a recluse, Dhian Das, who lived in a thatched hut near by. The villagers also assembled to listen to the Guru expound the teachings of Guru Nanak. Guru Tegh Bahadur summed up by saying what is vividly expressed in his hymns in measure Dhanasari: "Why dost thou run to the woods in search of Him; He, the allpervasive yet everdetached, abides within thee..." (GG,684). A Gurdwara was established here in course of time. The old building, constructed in the early years of the present century, comprises rows of rooms on three sides of a brickpaved courtyard. The foundation of a more spacious building was laid on 31 March 1977. This new complex has a divan hall with a sanctum lopped by a lotus dome. Tlie Gurdwara owns over 50 acres of land and is managed by a local committee under the auspices of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. An important annual event is the martyrdom anniversary of Guru Tegh Bahadur.
KATANI KALAN, a village about 25 km from Ludhiana (30°54`N, 75052`E). is famous for the historical shrine Gurdwara Patshahi Chhevin Ate Dasvin, commonly known as Katana Sahib. Katani is believed to have been visited by Guru Hargobind during his journey through the Malva country in 163134. Guru Gobind Singh passed through this village on his way from Machhivara to DinaKangar in December 1705. A gurudwara was established to commemorate the Guru`s visit. The name of the Sixth Guru was associated with it only during the twentieth century, the Manji Sahib dedicated to Guru Hargobind having been constructed in 1933. The present building complex covers about two acres of land including some plots under cultivation. The central hall contains two domed sanctums. The one towards the canal end is dedicated to Guru Gobind Singh and it is this one which is now particularly referred to as Degsar, in the belief that Guru Gobind Singh had his first meal after Machhivara here ((^signifying sacred food). It is an open pavilion with a marble floor. The other sanctum, dedicated to Guru Hargobind, is a square room. The Gurdwara is administered by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee.
KARNAL (29°42`N, 76"59`E), a district town of Haryana, situated along the historic Grand Trunk road, 123 km north of Delhi, is sacred to Guru Nanak. Gurdwara MarijT Sahib commemorates his visit to Karnal in 1515 when he held a religious discourse with one Shaikh Tahir (referred to as Tatihar in the ValdyatvdH Janam Sdkhi, which, however, places him in Panipat). The Guru pointed out that the practice of worshipping graves and tombs of holy men amounted to a breach of the injunctions of Islam. Guru Tegh Bahadur is also believed to have visited the shrine in 1670 during his journey from Delhi to Lakhnaur. Raja Gajpat Singh ofJmd (17381789) had a gurudwara raised on the site of the Mariji Sahib. An assembly hall on the first floor and the langar and a twostoreycd concrete pavilion were added later. The Gurdwara is affiliated to Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, which administers it through a local committee.
KARTARPUR. village on the right bank of tlie River Ravi in the present Sialkot district of Pakistan and usually called Kartarpur Ravl to distinguish it from another town of tlie same name in Jalandhar district of Indian Punjab, is sacred to Guru Nanak (14691539) to whom it owed its origin and who settled here at the end of his long peregrinations in India and abroad to prcacli the word of God. Guru Nanak spent the last two decades of his life with his wife and children at Kartarpur which became the principal seat of the Sikh faith. It was here that Bhai Lahina, later Guru Arigad, came to receive instruction and it was here that, after nominating (Guru) Arigad his spiritual sucessor, he passed away on Assu vadi 10, 1596 Bk/7 September 1539. Most of the habitation was washed away by the everencroaching Ravi whereupon the Guru`s descendants and followers moved to Dera Baba Nanak, a new town they had raised on the other side of the river. The threestoreyed tall building ofGurdwara Kartarpur Sahib Ravi PatshahT I erected later at Kartarpur can still be seen from the high embankment marking the IndoPakistan boundary north ofDcra Baba Nanak, but it has been inaccessible to visitors and pilgrims from India since the partition of 1947.
KARTARPUR (31°26`N, 75°30`E), municipal town famous for its furniture industry, 15 km northwest ofJalandhar along Sher Shah Sun Marg in the Punjab, was founded by Guru Arjan (15631606) in 1594 on land granted during the reign of Emperor Akhar (15561605). Guru Arjan`s successor. Guru Hargobind (15951644), resided here too for some time. Two of his sons, Suraj Mall and Tegh Bahadur, were married at Kartarpur. In April 1635, the faujddr or garrison commander ofJalandhar, at the instigation of Painda Khan, a former protege of Guru Hargobind turned hostile, attacked Kartarpur. After a threeday battle in which the Guru`s youngest son, Tcgh Bahadur, displayed feats of valour, Guru Hargobind left the town and retired with his family and attendants to the hill resort ofKIratpur. His young grandson, Dhir Mall (162777), however, would neither leave Kartarpur nor part with the Holy Book, the original recension of Guru Granth Sahib. He stayed behind and declared himself Guru forming a sect of his own appropriating to himself income from land as well as from offerings made by devotees to the Holy Gramh. It is his line called Sodhis of Kartarpur that became the owners of the place and high priests of the sacred shrines locatd there. The Dhirmallia sect was rejected by Guru Gobind Singh (16661708), who forbade the Sikhs to have any dealings with them. The Sodhis of Kartarpur later returned to the Sikh fold accepting vows of the Khalsa. In 1757, Ahmad Shah Durrani sacked Kartarpur, burnt down the sacred Thamm Sahib shrine and forced Sodhi Vadbhag Singh (d. 1762) to flee and find refuge in the hills of Una. The Sikhs soon avenged the desecration and reestablished the shrines when they came to power in the Punjab. There are now the following sacred places in Kartarpur. GURDWARA THAMMJl SAHIB (popularly called Thamm Sahib) is named after a massive wooden log (thamm, in Punjabi) used as central support for the first house that Guru Arjan got built for use as an assembly hall for the san^atAt the new habitation. The thamm was later treated by the Sikhs as a sacred relic. Some time after the building was destroyed in 1757 by Ahmad Shah Durrani, a simple structure was raised on the site, replaced by the present sevcnstoreycd edifice constructed through the munificence of Maharaja Ranjit Singh (17801839). Standing on a high plinth in the middle of a walled compound, it comprises a 15metre square doublestoreyed marblefloored hall encompassing the square sanctum at the ground floor. The six storeys rising above the sanctum are topped by a dome with a gilded pinnacle. The Gurdwara owns 100 acres of land and is administered by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee which also controls Gurdwaras Garigsar, Chubachcha Sahib, Viah Asthan, and Tahli Sahib. GURDWARA GANGSAR PATSHAHI PANJVIN TE CHHEViN, 200 metres east of the town is named after the well got sunk in 1599 by Guru Arjan who pronounced it to be as sacred as the River Gariga. The old Mariji Sahib near the well was replaced by the present fivestoreycd building raised by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee in 1975. The sanctum is at one end of a square hall on the ground floor. The other four storeys with the dome on lop rise above the sanctum. Within the liall to the right side as one faces the sanctum is a platform dedicated to Guru Hargobind who, according to local tradition, sat here sometimes to address visiting sano.ats. GURDWARA VIAH ASTHAN GURU TEGH BAHADUR TE MATA GUJARfJi at the end of Rabablarivali Lane marks the house where Bhai Lal Chand Subhikkhi, father ofMata Gujari, stayed and where Maia Gujari`s marriage with Guru Tegh Bahadurwas solemnized on 4 February 1633. The fivestoreyed Gurdwara was built during the 1980`s under the supervision of Baba Uttam Singh ofKhadur Sahib. The sanctum is at the far end of a rectangular hall on the ground floor. A separate building to the north of the hall houses a library. GURDWARA CHUBACHCHA SAHIB PATSHAHI CHHEViN is located in a walled compound about 100 metres northwest of Gurdwara Thamm Sahib. The sanctum is at the far end of a flatroofed rectangular hall, built in 1940. GURDWARA TAHLI SAHIB PATSHAHI VII, about 2 km south of the main town, marks the site where GuruHarRai (163061), accompanied by his horse guard halted while on Ins way from Kiratpur to Goindval in 1658. The Gurdwara is named after a shisham tree (Dalbergia sissoo, ldhfi Punjabi), still extant, to which, according to local tradition, the Guru`s own horse was tied. The present buildings were constructed in 1949 under the supervision ofSant Ishar Singh ofRara. The central building is a flatroofed rectangular hall in which is located the sanctum. GURDWARA BABE Dl BER or simply Ber Sahib, about 1.5 km east of town is dedicated to Baba Gurditta (161338), eldest son of Guru Hargobind. It is here that Baba Sri Chand (14941629), son of Guru Nanak, held discourse with Baba Gurditta under a lierirce (Ziziphus mamtiana) before he chose him his successor as head of the Udasi sect. The her tree still stands as also the old well known as Khuh Malliari. According to tradition, BhaT Gurdas (d. 1636), poet and cxpoundcr of the holy writ, used to compose verses here attracted by the seclusion of the place. The present Gurdwara comprising a square room with a verandah in the front was constructed in 1961 by the local sangat. SHISH MAHAL (lit. palace of mirrors), originally the residence of Guru Arjan, and Guru Hargobind during their occasional visits to Kartarpur, is within a fortresslike house, the property of the Sodhi descendants of Baba Dhir Mall. A number of sacred relics arc preserved in the Shish Mahal. They include the original copy of the Holy Book prepared by Guru Arjan; a breviary of hymns used by Guru Arjan for his daily prayers; a heavy khandd or doubleedged sword believed to have been used by Guru Hargobind; another khandd associated with Guru Har Rai; the ceremonial cord and cap given by Baba Sri Chand to Baba Gurditta as emblems of headship of the Udasi sect; and a few garments belonging to Baba Gurditta. Other historical monuments at Kartarpur are the samddhi of Bibi Kaulari; Nanakiana Sahib, a shrine commemorating Mata Nanaki, the mother of Guru Tegh Bahadur; Damdama Sahib, a platform dedicated to Guru Hargobind; and Dera Bhai Bhagatu Ji marking the site where Bhai Bhagatu, a prominent Sikh contemporary of the Fifth, Sixth and the Seventh Gurus, was cremated in 1652 by Guru Har Rai.
KARHALI, a village 20 km south of Patiala, has a historical shrine called Gurdwara Karhali Sahib, commemorating the stay here of Guru Tegh Bahadur during one of his travels through the Malva region. According to local tradition. Guru Hargobind had also visited the site while on his way to Kurukshetra. The present building, a 6metre square sanctum with a 6metre wide verandah around it, within a highwalled compound was constructed by Maharaja Karam Singh (17981845) of Patiala. It has now a mosaic floor. Guru ka Larigar and a row of residential rooms are also within the compound. The small sarovar outside the compound has been added during recent decades. The Gurdwara owns 35 acres of land. It is managed by a local committee under the auspices of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. Largely attended gatherings take place on the fifth of the light half of every lunar month.
KARHA SAHIB, a village 11 km west of Pehova (29"59`N, 76°35`E) in Kurukshetra district of Haryana, was visited by four of the Sikh Gurus. Guru Nanak came here during his travels to the eastern parts. Chaudhari Kalu of this village became a follower and is said to have constructed a bdoK his honour. The second of the Sikh Gurus to visit this village was Guru Hargobind. The local tradition places Guru Tegh Bahadur`s visit during his last journey to Delhi, but it is more likely that he passed through this village in the course of one of his earlier travels across the area. Guru Gobind Singh was here in 1702 when he visited the shrines established here in memory of the earlier Gurus. Bhai Udai Singh, the ruler ofKaithal (d. 1843), got three gurudwaras constructed in the same compound and made land grants for their maintenance. These simple structures were replaced by more elegant buildings during the early 1970`s by Sant Jivan Singh of Pehova. The three shrines are sometimes jointly called Triveni Sahib. Two identical shrines in the northern and southern parts of the walled compound are dedicated to Guru Nanak and Guru Tegh Bahadur, respectively. Gurdwara Patshahi Chhevin is in the centre to the east, thus forming the apex of the triangle. The entire compound has a marble floor. The Gurdwaras are affiliated to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, but arc for the present managed by the successors of Sant Baba Jivan Singh Scvavalc.
KAONKE, village 7 km southwest ofJagraon (30°47`N, 75"28`E), in Ludhiana district, has a historical shrine called Guru Sar, commemorating the visit of Guru Hargobind in 163132. Approached by a metalled link road, it is two and a half kilometres to the northwest of the village. The small square sanctum with a verandah on three sides and a dome on top was constructed in 1912. In 1955, a square pavilion was added for larger assemblies. The sarovar is on the right of these buildings as one enters the premises, and the Guru ka Larigar and residential accommodation for pilgrims near the entrance gate. The Gurdwara is administered by a wholetime manager appointed by the Shiroman! Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. There is also a village committee to help the manager. The biggest festivals of the year arc Baisakhi and Maghi falling on the first of the Bikrami months of Baisakh and Magh respectively.